The blog has been neglected as I’ve been entirely focused on YouTube for the month of December! I did daily vlogs every day until Christmas – I didn’t have enough to be stressing myself with already! It’s funny how I … Continue reading
I finally got around to putting together my Labour and Delivery video – don’t worry it doesn’t contain the gory bits! Click the link below to watch 😉
I had the baby! We named him Ashton. He arrived a week early – I was actually in labour when I was writing last week’s bump update! I wanted to finish up my bump updates, this is also a diary … Continue reading
Hello! So I have got my hospital bags ready and I put together my ‘What’s in my Hospital Bag’ videos – it’s about time, as I’m 39 weeks pregnant! I really have been relying on YouTube so much this time around, I … Continue reading
I’ve been without internet for the past few weeks and I used the monthly data allowance on my phone in the first week, so I’ve been a little out of touch! So, this week is another two week update! Bump … Continue reading
How far along? 12 Weeks Total weight gain: From my first visit to now, 2.3 kg (4lbs) Maternity clothes? Yes, I have purchased my first pair of maternity jeans BUT I think I got the wrong size! Damn it! Stretch … Continue reading
With so many Baby / Toddler products out there to choose from, it’s hard to know which ones to pick! I always find it’s easier when I’ve heard another parent’s review of the product, so I’ve compiled a list of … Continue reading
If you have a ‘family bed’, and this works for you all then you should carry on. I am by no means saying that I disagree with what you’re doing, or that you need to stop. Each to their own and all that! However, if you have been sharing your bed and for whatever reason have decided that this is no longer right for you or your child then this may also work for you!
I had never planned to co-sleep. It sort of just happened. I knew I didn’t want to do it forever though, and that as much as I loved it I had to stop. I felt that Devin was getting too old at 5 months to continue co-sleeping, because he was becoming more and more aware of what was going on around him. I knew it would get harder and harder to move him to his own room. I know that there are 3 and 4 year olds that still co-sleep too and there are other methods that can be used with these children too. It has to be fair though. You can’t just suddenly stop doing it. If your child has learned that this is the way we sleep, it would be far too confusing for them! What I’m talking about here is really just for babies.
Devin started on solids at 4 months. He was a very hungry baby and my own supply couldn’t meet his demands. My dad used to say I needed a wet nurse! I also had to start back on treatment the following month, so I stopped breastfeeding before he was 6 months. So, he was no longer being breastfed at night when I stopped the co-sleeping.
Here’s what I did:
- We put him into his own cot, with a cot duvet rather than blankets (to make it as much like our bed as possible). I put the cot right up next to my side of the bed so that I could reach in and touch him when he was looking for me during the night.
- For the first few nights I would take him out of the cot and into the bed with me if he was upset.
- A few nights later I would take him out and comfort him, but then put him back in and only reach through the bars to touch him.
- Eventually he was happily sleeping in his cot. At this point I moved the cot a little bit away from the bed. You can gradually move the cot further and further over time (provided your room is big enough.)
- During the day, all naps were in the cot – helping him to understand that this is where sleep happens!
- By 7 months he was ready to be moved to his own room. I set his room up for him with some of his favourite toys and spent a lot of time with him in the room during the day, so that he would become familiar with it.
- At 8 months, I moved the cot into his room. He didn’t seem to notice anything had changed at all! I of course was in tears! But then something amazing happened, I went to bed and that first night was the best night’s sleep I’d got in 8 months!
Something terrible happened this morning! I felt so guilty! My poor little Devin. The day was pretty normal I’m afraid as I was feeling quite unwell, sorry!
Click below to watch day 20:
Welcome to day 18! Only 7 more sleeps!! Today we took Devin to the play centre and he exhausted himself, playing in areas for MUCH older kids!! After following him, I ended up having to go down the slide too…oops. Click below to watch Day 18!