This is going to make me sound really old, but I’m going to say it anyway – life isn’t what it was when I was a kid! We used to go outside and play all day long, we didn’t WANT to be inside! My mom made every single meal from scratch. Fast Food was a treat – (as in a few times a year kind of treat!) I never, ever, ate a meal in front of the TV…EVER! We did bob-a-jobs for pocket money – like washing Dad’s car. We were dragged out on Sunday walks too haha! (I appreciate that now) But I was a happy kid, and I was active!
Safefood have recently launched a new campaign called “Bring Back Play“, tackling childhood obesity. When you actually see the statistics from their research – it’s a reality check! I am suddenly aware of all the bad habits I’m creating for my son, and how I am actually the reason that his life isn’t going to be like it was for me!
A few of those figures:
- 1 in 4 children is overweight or obese
- Parents find it difficult to recognise that their child’s weight is not healthy
- 4/5 children in the Republic of Ireland do not meet Government Physical Activity Guidelines of 60 mins a day!
- Preschool children watch an average of 2 hours 9 minutes television a day
- 34% of preschool children have a TV in their bedroom!!!
- Many children do not meet the dietary recommendations for fruit and vegetables, saturated fat or sugar
- 1/5 of the energy intake from a child’s diet comes from sugary drinks, biscuits, confectionery, chocolate and cake. For More, Please see: Safefood.eu
I look at these figures and immediately I know, I’m guilty! I know I have to do some serious screen weaning!! Fruit and Veg is an issue too! But it’s not too late to change it! I’m now making a conscious effort to be more like my own parents!!
I’m consciously getting outside time, whether it’s a walk or a play in the back yard. We’re running around with a ball or dancing. As for food – ‘treats’ aren’t going to be as readily available!
Safefood have some great tips for parents:
GETTING ACTIVE: Replace screen time with active games – think about the games that you used to play! Click Here for Game Ideas!
SIX EASY STEPS to tackle childhood obesity – Including portion control, reducing sugary drinks, activities, screen time and sleep time! Click here to see those!
Visit Safefood.eu for information, tips and ideas how to #BringBackPlay with your kids!!
As always, Thanks for Reading!!